Office of Victim Services
4545 Fisher Road
Columbus, Ohio 43228
or toll free
How to Contact the Office of Victim Services Map - PDF
The mission of the Office of Victim Services is to work in partnerships to make a positive difference in the lives of crime victims, by affording them meaningful participation throughout the Ohio corrections process.
What Services are Available for Victims of Crime?
- Crisis intervention and advocacy throughout the corrections process.
- Assist victims with concerns related to inmates and parolees under our jurisdiction.
- Provide certain information regarding status of inmates in prison or under supervision of the Adult Parole Authority.
- Community education about policies and procedures of the Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.
- Refers victims to state, local and community resources.
- Petitions the Ohio Parole Board for Full Board Hearings as appropriate.
- Trains and monitors network of Victim Coordinators located in each prison and Adult Parole Authority region.
- Provides education to department staff to increase awareness of victims' issues.
- Assists the Ohio Parole Board and Adult Parole Authority in identifying victims' issues and provides input into decision-making process as appropriate.
If you are a victim of a crime and would like to register for notification regarding an inmate under the jurisdiction of the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, complete the Victim Notification form. Upon receipt of your notification form, the Office of Victim Services will process your request and mail a confirmation letter.
Senate Bill 160, known as “Roberta’s Law”, became effective on March 22, 2013. Roberta’s Law expands victim notification rights enumerated in Ohio Revised Code section 2930.16 as they relate to certain inmate release or transfer proceedings. If the inmate is convicted of Aggravated Murder, Murder, a first, second or third degree offense of violence or is serving a life sentence, the victim will be automatically notified of specified events, regardless of whether the victim has requested notification.
Roberta’s Law also provides an opt-out mechanism for those victims who do not wish to be automatically notified of certain inmate release and transfer proceedings. In order to opt out of receiving these notifications a “Victim Notification Opt Out” form must be on file with the Office of Victim Services. The signed “Victim Notification Opt Out” form can be mailed or emailed to the contact information listed below.
The Office of Victim Services
4545 Fisher Road
Columbus, Ohio 43228
Telephone (toll free) 888-842-8464
PLEASE NOTE: In addition to the registration above, victims can also register with VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) to have the most comprehensive notification services possible. VINE links county sheriff and statewide correctional facilities to make the status of offenders available 24 hours-a-day, 365 days-a-year.
Parole Board Victim Notification Section
Victims of inmates incarcerated in Ohio's prisons may register with the Victim Notification Section of the Parole Board. Registered victims will be notified prior to release consideration hearings. Victims may write to the Ohio Parole Board or personally voice their concerns in an appointment with an Ohio Parole Board staff member. Appointments are scheduled by the Office of Victim Services when requested by a victim, victim’s family or designated victim representative. Victims Conference Day which is held once a month for this purpose.
The victim or designated representative wishing to provide additional statements and/or information to the Ohio Parole Board and/or Adult Parole Authority should send those documents to: Office of Victim Services, 4545 Fisher Road. Columbus, OH 43228.